One of the difficulties we often encounter in the world of antiques is how to best incorporate them in with modern and traditional interiors. For many homeowners, it can prove a daunting task, so we wanted to share a few examples of artfully ways to mix contemporary pieces with traditional antiques. What is of importance is balance and proportion. It applies to color, shape, texture and style.
Here are a few home decorating ideas for mixing old and new:
- Put a modern, streamlined bench under an ornate console or desk.
- A rustic dining table paired with modern aluminum chairs creates terrific contrast.
- Put modern lamps on an antique sofa table, or vice versa.
- Place modern chairs around a beautiful, round French or English wood pedestal table.
- A modern light fixture hanging in a room full of rustic antiques is a powerful statement. Likewise an ornate fixture in a modern room stands out and adds character.
- In a reading nook pair an antique chair with a modern side table.
If you want to mix modern items with antiques don’t just rush out and buy items to fit the bill. You want to create a look that appears as though it’s evolved over time. Wait until you find just the right items that will add the proper form and function to your home.
Although there are rules of scale, balance and proportion in decorating, you should never sacrifice using items you love in order to follow the rules. Your home needs to look good to you, and if you truly love a piece, then there’s a place in your home for it.